How you can benefit from the Access to Finance service
How the Access to Finance service works
Our finance experts can help you to:
- Understand which type of finance is right for you
- Build a strong business plan and investment pitch
- Ensure your financial information is credible and robust
- Pitch to the right type of investors for your business
- Secure finance that helps you grow your business
In addition, businesses can access Leadership and Management training that will help to reassure lenders and investors of the management team's ability.
Which types of finance you can access
As with Business Development and Growth through Innovation, the customer journey for Access to Finance involves a combination of masterclasses and 1-2-1 mentoring from a professional finance coach of your choice.
The finance experts you will work with
We will work with you to find the most suitable type of finance for your business and can help you to access finance providers across the entire funding landscape.These include:
- Crowdfunding platforms
- Business angels
- Venture capitalists (VCs)
- Large investment firms
- Peer lending platforms
- Alternative debt providers
- Many other sources
The masterclasses you can attend
As well as your Business Growth Manager and Growth Coach, you will work with our investor team, which maintains connections with a wide range of finance institutions and investors across the country.
The coaches that you choose from are all financial professionals with backgrounds in finance and investment who are experienced in helping businesses like yours to access finance.
Is Access to Finance the right service for your business?
As part of the support we provide, you or your management team will be able to attend our Access to Finance masterclass series which includes:
- Funding basics
- The UK funding landscape
- Sources of finance (detailed overview on types of debt, grants and equity finance)
- The mindset of finance providers
- Creating an attractive funding proposition
- Basics of pitching
Preparing for Finance
- Creating a strong business plan for investors
- Writing an Executive Summary
- Basics of valuation
- Understanding dilution
- Practice investment pitches – 8 minute pitches with slide deck
- Detailed investor and peer feedback
Closing the deal: legals and documentation
- Valuation – methods, issues to be aware of (down rounds)
- Multiple funding rounds and cap tables
- The process of closing a deal
- Term sheets – key terminology
- Types of due diligence
- Further funding rounds
What if Access to Finance is not right for your business?
We can help your business to access the right finance to support your growth. We can help you plan for future investment and know your options.
It is also worth noting that, to be eligible for the service, businesses must:
- Be registered in the UK and based in England
- Have fewer than 250 employees
- Have turnover of less than £40m
- Meet the EU definition of an SME
A significant stage in the service is identifying which barriers to growth your business faces. If Access to Finance is not what your business needs, we will also be able to help you with: